The beauty products development (cosmetics or food supplements) is a long process that takes an average of twelve months. Thus, the process goes from the formulation to the marketing. In addition, the declaration and/or registration stage can also significantly impact the commercial launch date.
What are the key stages of the beauty products development?
1- Marketing brief: Make your consumers unique!
– The type of formula (cream, lotion, gel, oil) first. What are the main characteristics sought (appearance, smell, texture etc.)?
– The naturalness of the formulas in second place. Thus, it is necessary to distinguish between “organic” formulations and more conventional formulas.
– Your Black list: It is therefore essential to specify the ingredients that you want to exclude from your formulas in development.
– Ingredients to be introduced in the formula: a cosmetic product tells your story. It is the DNA of your brand.
– The claims that will be put forward on the packaging will have to be demonstrated by tests. Therefore, this may influence the development budget and the choice of ingredients
– The geographical areas of marketing as well.
– Expected release date
– Target price
– The type of packaging planned
– Customer targets: not all skin types have the same requirements
Do you need support to write your marketing brief? Click here to download your brief.
2 – Formula development
It is essential to create a formula that meets the consumer’s expectations. Therefore, the raw materials must meet the required demands.
The packaging must be in adequacy with the gesture of use. Moreover, the final product must comply with the quality criteria, throughout its duration of use.
3- Product registration by country and/or marketing zone
It is essential to know the applicable legislation in order to carry out the studies and tests required by the health authorities. The purpose of this process is to obtain marketing authorization.
4- Manufacturing for marketing
During this last stage, the packaging in different languages must be made (depending on the marketing areas). Finally, it is at this point that production begins.
wish to develop products and innovate within your existing ranges, call on our services
To read too:
- White label, a solution?
- Probiotics: What is this new trend consisting of bacteria for In & Out use?
- Cosmetic Packaging: Airless, bio-sourced & refillable for greener products
- Cosmetics: towards green formulation
- Powdered cosmetics, a trend to follow?
- Regulation and development of cosmetic ranges or well-being products
Want to develop new products? Check out our free In&Out product catalog!