A label is a recognised certification, controlled by an independent organisation, which helps the consumer in his choices.
It is a real asset for the positioning of your product range on the market, but choosing a label implies obligations that must be mastered from the very beginning of the project. The formulation, packaging and selection of the manufacturer cannot be done « lightly », otherwise the conditions of the certification specifications may not be met.
For a clearer view, let’s take the example of Cosmebio, a French label used in the cosmetics industry, which includes 3 labelling options:
- ORGANIC COSMETICS
- NATURAL COSMOS
- ORGANIC COSMOS
Obtaining a Cosmébio label
A Cosmébio label helps the consumer to distinguish at a glance which cosmetic products are truly natural or organic. It is based on demanding specifications based on a charter of ethical values. An inspection by an independent certifier is mandatory every year to check the conformity of the products.
Due to its association’s status, Cosmébio does not have the right to certify products. It is therefore the accredited bodies (Bureau Veritas, Cosmécert and Ecocert) that must verify the label’s guarantees.
The Cosmébio’s requirements
The Charter requires that ingredients available in natural form should not be substituted by synthesised ingredients. In the absence of natural ingredients, requirements are imposed on synthetic ingredients and this is detailed in a restrictive positive list (list of prohibited synthetic ingredients) banning for example polyethylene glycols, silicones, petrochemical ingredients, etc.
In addition, the Charter ensures the respect of the life cycle of the product:
- by controlling the origin of raw materials, to encourage ethical and sustainable sourcing,
- by promoting gentle and non-polluting processing by controlling the manufacture of the finished product and,
- by encouraging transparent labelling and responsible communication.
- Benefits for the consumer
The COSMEBIO label certifies that a product:
- Is made up of at least 95% of organic raw materials;
- Does not contains synthetic perfumes or dyes;
- Does not contain any synthetic preservatives (such as parabens or phenoxyethanol);
- Does not contain any elements from petrochemicals (paraffin, silicone, polyethylene glycol);
- Does not contain any GMOs;
- Has not undergone ionizing treatments;
- Has not been tested on animals;
- Respects a non-polluting formulation process;
- Is packaged in biodegradable or recyclable packaging.
In addition, exhaustive and clear information must be available to the consumer concerning the components and the processes used to obtain the final product. The proportion of natural and organic compounds is marked on all packaging of COSMEBIO certified products.
For further information, have a look here:
Other labels exist. It is important to define the label that best suits your market.